Business Crime & Confiscation
FRAUD, MONEY LAUNDERING, INSIDE DEALING, BRIBERY AND CORRUPTION
We represent clients in every aspect of white-collar crime, we have for example:
- Advised a prominent sports body on bribery and corruption;
- Drafted anti-money laundering policies and procedures for money service businesses;
- Defended clients in complex ‘high profile’ fraud trials.
Our expertise is recognised in the Legal 500 as ‘remarkable’.
We act for individuals, companies, governments and institutions.
Our clients rely on us because we have a sharp grasp of the law and facts of each case, offer pragmatic advice and we get results.
If you think we can help you, or someone you know, please contact us on 0208 963 1050 or email@example.com.
Our white-collar advisory services cover the entire money laundering and bribery regulatory framework, including the rules set by HMRC and the FCA. The regime in operation is both extensive and onerous. We however make the law easy to follow and protect our clients from sanctions (including criminal liability). Our services include:
- Advising in relation to any aspect of the money laundering and bribery & corruption regime
- Drafting of anti-money laundering and bribery & corruption policies and systems, tailored to each client’s specific requirements
- Training your management and staff on specific issues, such as how to spot a suspicious transaction, when and how to report it to the NCA
- Assisting new businesses acquire authorisation and registration with HMRC and the FCA
Litigation and advocacy services
We defend clients in some of the most serious and high-profile white-collar crime cases in the UK: from the police station through to the Court of Appeal.
We always achieve the quickest and best resolution possible for our clients.
We dealt with every time of white collar crime case, from Ponzi schemes, to market trading offences to complex banking frauds.
Our recent cases include:
- Operation Enderby 2, Central Criminal Court (on going)
Representing the first defendant aged 16 in a multi-million pound money laundering case concerning the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. The case was investigated by the National Crime Agency
- Operation Yuletide, Southwark Crown Court (on going)
€100 million allegedly defrauded from a large multinational company and laundered through Malta, Spain, Lichtenstein, the UK, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Cyprus and Sri Lanka
- R v DJ, Southwark Crown Court (on going)
A £12 million pharmaceutical fraud case investigated and prosecuted by the MHRA.
- R v A, Cambridge Crown Court
A multi-handed confidence fraud
- R v G, Inner London Crown Court
A multi-handed mortgage fraud
- Operation Laith, Croydon Crown Court
£44 million cyber-fraud investigated by the FBI in the United States and prosecuted in the United Kingdom by the CPS
- R v S, Blackfriars Crown Court
£430 million global fraud investigation spanning 22 countries, led by the US Secret Service, FBI and SOCA (the forerunner to the NCA) and prosecuted in the United Kingdom by the CPS
- Operation Prelacy, Southwark Crown Court
£200 million fraud investigated by SOCA
- Operation Viking, Southwark Crown Court
£150 million fraud investigated by HMRC
- Operation Civilian, Southwark Crown Court
£137 million fraud investigated by HMRC and prosecuted by the CPS
- Operation Veneer, Southwark Crown Court
£150 million fraud investigated and prosecuted by HMRC
CONFISCATION, CIVIL RECOVERY, RESTRAINT ORDERS, CASH SEIZURE AND FORFEITURE
The UK authorities have wide-ranging and draconian powers which can be used to freeze, seize and confiscate assets believed to be the proceeds of crime or intended for use in crime.
We consistently protect our client’s assets and money by acting quickly, having an expert understanding of the law and a sharp tactical awareness. Our successes include:
- Discharging inappropriately obtained restraint orders;
- Challenging a cash seizure case in the High Court by way of judicial review;
- Limiting confiscation orders through negotiated basis of pleas.
Our recent cases include:
- Operation Veneer, Southwark Crown Court (on going)
£150 million fraud investigated and prosecuted by HMRC. Now subject to confiscation and cash forfeiture proceedings
- Operation Prelacy, Southwark Crown Court (on going)
Confiscation and restraint order proceedings where the benefit figure is in excess of £192 million (second largest in the UK)
- R v N, High Court (on going)
Cash seizure case: successfully judicially reviewed a decision to seize cash on the grounds of a breach of Article 3
- R v GBT, Canterbury Crown Court (on going)
A wife of a Nigerian Prince accused of immigration fraud. The benefit figure is in excess of £4.7 million
- R v C, Winchester Crown Court (on going)
Confiscation proceedings arising from a conspiracy to import class A drugs
- R v S, Harrow Crown Court
Confiscation proceedings arising from a three year conspiracy to supply class A drugs
- R v D, High Court
Civil recovery and tax case: SOCA sought to recover around £100,000 alleged to be proceeds of an insurance fraud, following a failed prosecution
- R v Z, Kingston Crown Court
Confiscation proceedings arising from a conspiracy to assist illegal immigration from Iran by creating fraudulent documentation
- R v B, St Albans Crown Court
Confiscation proceedings arising from a VAT fraud concerning five companies
- R v C, Harrow Crown Court
Confiscation and cash forfeiture proceedings arising from a multi-jurisdictional supply of drugs
- R v I, Guildford Crown Court
Confiscation proceedings arising from a conspiracy to cultivate cannabis on an industrial scale
- R v S, Central Criminal Court
Confiscation proceedings arising from a series of armed robberies across East London